Removal of White panel under window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a double glazed window with a white panel underneath which i Would like to remove because I don't think there is any insulation in there. Before I moved in to the flat there used to be a door leading to the Balcony and for what ever reasons it was removed but the previous occupants did not brick up the gap they covered over it with wood (plywood I suspect) I know this because when I lean on it it flexes. The easiest way would be to remove the wood I know but my other half does not want to redecorate but complains the room is cold. Which only leaves me with trying to remove the window cill or the white panel outside under the window or listen to my other half complain.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Here's a picture of the Window it 's the White Panel under the Window it looks like it has Black rubber Seals holding it in place but not sure.

53j33ib.jpg

The white panel are normally insulated approx 25mm thick polyethylene foam, however it would be best remove it for security reason by putting another glass unit in or obscure glass if you want privacy, don't worry about losing heat as they now use heat saving reflection glass.

Sponsored Links
perhps its so small people dont try and run through it, that they had the white panel fitted?

I ONly want to remove to see if there is any Insulation in there if not improve also to check for this sudden wood lice infestation we have and then put the panel back. Inside the room there is only Plywood covering the gap where the original doors were to the balcony once upon a time.

So how would I go about removing the panel from the outside do I remove the Black rubber seals and pull the White panel out. I do not have access to the PVC panel from inside the property beacuse the plywood cover has been decorated and I would be strung up by my other half if I touched it

Is the glass unit above the same as below panel beading, if so, you can see the glass thickness should be the same as the panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back