Remove a threaded screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to remove a threaded screw how is the best way to do this?

Its the cross head screw in this picture

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mCcwWjSMbohMMQk_fQI4QXZBLvcUtxmQLg

Cheers
Paul S
open

Sponsored Links
The cross head is a Phillips not Pozidrive look similar but they will cam out and damage the head if the wrong one is used.
Hard to say if it is size 2 or 3 from the picture, my guess is 3.
If it is tight use a screwdriver that you can hammer and tap the end sharply while turning, strangely often trying to tighten first can make it easier to remove.
The star one is a Torx by the look of it.

a little bit of valve grinding paste between screw and driver helps, as does loads of pressure

if you put a scrap cut from a rubber glove between the driver and the screw, it improves grip. I don't know if it's the added friction, or because it takes up slop.

the "correct" driver should be a perfect fit with no slop, you'll know when you've found it.

Sponsored Links
The cross head is a Phillips not Pozidrive look similar but they will cam out and damage the head if the wrong one is used.

Agree, seems that some damage has already been done by a pozi driver.

my guess is 3.

Disagree! An M5 countersunk should always be a number 2.

OP, buy a new Phillips number 2 screwdriver (even if it's just a hex bit to go in an existing bit holder). If you have an old PH2 laying around that maybe has a worn tip itself, you are risking making the situation a whole lot worse if that screw is really tight. A new one will just feel right, like JohnD says.

OP, buy a new Phillips number 2 screwdriver (even if it's just a hex bit to go in an existing bit holder). If you have an old PH2 laying around that maybe has a worn tip itself, you are risking making the situation a whole lot worse if that screw is really tight. A new one will just feel right, like JohnD says.

ok cheers
Mate will do

I bought a new Phillips Number 2 screwdriver a foot long version and it worked thanks alot!

Also try a slight turn to tighten it before trying to undo it.
This can often aid releasing tight screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back