Removing This Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
What is the best way to remove this painted lock without damaging the lock holder please?

As you can see I am unable to remove the screws as they are in a very bad way - unable to either drill or screw them out.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
Did you try tightening them a bit first? That can sometimes work to just release the grip a fraction.
Now the heads are buggered there's nowt left but to drill them out. A screw-extractor might also work. (It's like a left hand threaded tap)
If you can't you'll have to get someone in who can.

You could try hammering it out from the side, but I wouldn't bother, I doubt you'd be successful without damaging the door.
If you were successful, there's a chance you'd shear the heads of the screws leaving the shank of the screw still in the door. Then you'd need to be able to grip the shank of the screw with mole grips or similar.

What ever you do, it would be worth going round the edge of the lock with a stanley knife or similar to break the paint seal, so that the lock can come out cleanly without taking any of the paint on the door with it.

Clean screw head out with a bradawl or sharp screw point then you can remove with screwdriver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back