Removing rusted screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am trying to remove an old Edwardian lock from a door & have all the screws bar one removed. It resists all my phyiscal efforts using old fashion manual type srewdrivers & the screw head is getting a bit knacked now. Any ideas or hints? Is that any 'derusting' potions out there I could try?

I am new to DIY so no abbreviations or jargon please as that will only confuse me!

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. What fitting would I use to do that and would that risk enlarging the hole (the screw is fixed into the edge of the door, holding in what I think is called the forend part of the lock)?

You may need to start off with a drill the size of the screw head, but what you are aiming for is a drill the size of the screw shank. If you can drill this into the centre of the head, the head will come off. A slow speed will be easier to control. It will be difficult to do if the door is still fitted, far easier if you take off the door and hold it firmly, lock facing upward.

If you can find a left-handed drill it is the best tool, as it will tend to loosen the screw.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have another thread going looking for advice on a domestic drill purchase. Any ideas (budget £50-£70).

put an old driver into the screw head slot and give it a smart tap with the hammer. ;)

The longer the screwdriver the more pressure you can get on the screw. Or get a set of mole grips/pipe wrench on the handle of the screwdriver.

The longer the screwdriver the more pressure you can get on the screw. Or get a set of mole grips/pipe wrench on the handle of the screwdriver.

Or better on the shaft of the screw driver in case the handle breaks.

On method I have used when all else has failed is to drill a hole about 1/8 inch into the screw and then hammer a new cross head or philips head into the screw. A screwdriver bit ( the type that goes into a socket set ) is ideal for hammering into the screw to cut the new cross head.

Homeboy - you 'drift' or 'punch' it out. Hammer & centre-punch - position the point of the punch very near where the screw slot meets the perimeter of the screwhead, hold the punch at the shallowest angle possible, then tap the punch with the hammer in an anti-clockwise direction. Keep tapping 'til the screw loosens.

Home Boy

If its an old screw in wood heres a simpler way of getting it out.

Get an electruc soldering iron and place the hot iron on the end of the screw for a few minutes. Get it nice and hot.
It expands beaking the tension resistance its bult up over the years.
When it cools its a doddle to get out.

I hope you haven't knackered up the end slot too much.

Memor

Another old trick is to tighten it to break the bond, then unscrew it.

The length has nothing to do with it but you can use a spanner on an engineering screwdriver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back