Removing rusted screw

Length has nothing to do with it. Show me your mathematics if you disagree.

Sponsored Links
joe, if i had a stuck screw, and i had 5 screwdrivers of varying length, then the longest screwdriver would be the one to use, as it is the longest screwdriver that will give the greatest purchase.

try and remove a screw with a stubby driver against a longer one and you will find out for yourself.

i'm not sure how to explain it with math's or physics though joe, i'm sorry.

"the turning force is defined as torque and torque is defined as T=F*t. therefore the further you are away from the centre line of the screw driver you are applying the force, the less force you need to produce to turn the screw."

probably. :rolleyes: ;)

Having used stubby and long screwdrivers this is my opinion,

Moving the handle of a stubby a few milli-metres off the centre line creates a large angle of mis-alignment. Moving the handle of a long screwdriver the same few milli-metres off the centre line creates a much smaller angle of mis-alignment.

The more in line the more effective is the force in turning the screw and less damaging to the head of the screw.

Sponsored Links
"the turning force is defined as torque and torque is defined as T=F*t. therefore the further you are away from the centre line of the screw driver you are applying the force, the less force you need to produce to turn the screw."

Or the fatter the handle the more twist you can exert,

BigScrewdriver.jpg

I do not think the torque you can apply would be any different between a short or long screwdriver in theory.
However in practise a long screwdriver allows a better stance, and a better hand purchase, hence greater power.
Try undoing a stubborn screw when standing against a flat wall, you will easily see the difference.

OK - the short versus long conundrum. Generally speaking length has nothing to do with (if you know what I mean ... nudge, nudge, wink, wink) as a couple of our perceptive posters have recognised. This length of the screwdriver thing is an urban myth bourne out of the situation where, traditionally smaller screwdrivers had smaller diameter handles than bigger screwdrivers; bigger handle = increased mechanical advantage therefore more torque. Of course, this situation has been confused by the introduction of big handles on small screwdrivers - what would we do without our stubby drivers?

the simple answer is a longer screwdriver is easier to use feels more natural more natural stance less jerky movements when applying the turning motion [torque]

the effort at the blade is exactly the same no matter how long the blade its just easier to apply when your comfortable

probably. :rolleyes: ;)

torque in your example is when the length is a lever rather than a turning shaft where the power remians fairly constant regardless of length

ok, regardless of the maths involved. It just IS easier to get a stubborn screw out with a longer handled driver. Maybe it is 'all in the mind' but I find I swear less when using a longer tool*.

* Yes yes, I know :rolleyes:

ok, regardless of the maths involved. It just IS easier to get a stubborn screw out with a longer handled driver. Maybe it is 'all in the mind' but I find I swear less when using a longer tool*.

* Yes yes, I know :rolleyes:

the simple answer is a longer screwdriver is easier to use feels more natural more natural stance less jerky movements when applying the turning motion [torque]

the effort at the blade is exactly the same no matter how long the blade its just easier to apply when your comfortable

yes i agree with you entirely :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back