Remove and replace old Cloaking Profile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
In these recent high winds our uPVC(?) double glazed 11 year old windows have started to whine, when I investigated i found cracks around the Cloaking Profile, although I used sealant along the cracks, the whine is still there.
I can't afford a proper Tradesman to do a replacement profile job for me, but I do know that I could do it myself.
What would be the best way to remove the existing Sealant and profile and replace it please?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Got a razor blade to cut the old silicone , you'll probably find the trims are superglued on , so won't come off easily, so get a paint scraper ( or similar ) and prise them off. If superglued on they will leave a residue which is unlikely you'll get off ( you could try superglue removers or scraping it but I've always found some remains!). Now if it was me , and the gap behind the trim, between the window and wall isn't huge, then I'd seal that with clear silicone first ( doesn't have to be overly neat ) , and then put new trims on over that. It acts as a double barrier , and then if ( or rather when ) the silicone starts to degrade on the trims again your property is still protected and you shouldn't get any whistling.
On a side note , just check it's not the actual opening sash whining around the hinges, hinges wear and after a while don't close tight. Other than you would be correct in the whistling/whining from sealant coming off

Thanks for that ronniecabers, I'll give it a try after our hols, and let you know of course, all that I need will be a strong wind then to see if I have succeeded. as for the sash windows causing the problem, I hadn't thought of that.... so cheers.
I suppose silicon remover would also remove it from the brickwork?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back