Remove and replace Yorkshire fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Yorkshire fitting 22mm that is leaking from one end. I need to take it out and replace. The problem I have is there is absolutely no movement in the pipe so I think I will have to cut it out. It is an extremely tight area which is going to make this fun!

If I cut it out as there is no give in the pipe I assume I will need to use two slip couplers. How far away should these be from each other. Is there any other option as I feel like I’m adding an extra failure point in the system.

Attachments

• 0A57B405-FFB0-401D-8989-B126406D2EB2.jpeg
    0A57B405-FFB0-401D-8989-B126406D2EB2.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
I take it you can drain that pipe completely down? If not then your main issue may be the soldering won't take properly. Slip couplers installed correctly shouldn't be a failure point at all. Soldered fittings are considered part of the pipe once correctly formed.

I can't quote get the last bit out unless there is a technique I am not aware of, the pipe is level so there always seems to be some water at the bottom

large cooking syringe and length of rubber pipe, I've even seen me using a piece of overflow pipe and sucking out the water as it was the cold mains.

Sponsored Links
I will give that a go! what is the closest you would put the two slip couplers as I don't want to heat up the one next to it

Heat them both at the same time so closeness won't matter. That being said, the further apart they are the more 'give' in the pipe you'll have.

Ok, I can probably get away with about a foot apart

I have heard of plumbers actually push a plug of bread up the pipe as a sort of dam to hold back any drips of water and when the pipework is put back into service the bread just breaks up and gets flushed along to the outlet, not sure how things pan out if its whizzing round a heating system pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back