Yorkshires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep having pinprick leaks from Yorkshires.

I clean each end of pipe so it is bright
smear an even amount of flux around the pipe ends
place yorkshires on
heat up
apply some extra solder in an attempt to get the bright ring

I am using a large blowlamp rather than one of those little direct ones.

On verticals do you sweat up the top ring or bottom first

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am using a large blowlamp rather than one of those little direct ones.

On verticals do you sweat up the top ring or bottom first
try a little less heat sounds as if your burning the flux
vertical bottom first heat travels up ;)

Could be you're using too much flux. That means the temp is held LOW while you're getting all the dry parts very hot, then whan the flux has boiled off it all gets v hot v quick. Also the excess flux can run down and bubble through the molten solder as it's freezing, which looks like it could leave a path behind.

You hardly need any flux - try it!

(Vertical TOP first if it's endfeeds not yorkshires cos you burn the flux..)

Sponsored Links
the flux is new - I don;t know the make

when I break the leaking connections I am left with a really thin film (really smooth almost like a silver discoloration of the pipe)of solder that cannot be melted or rubbed off . Can I put a new joint on top of this? Or do I have to replace the pipe?

Thanks

Use it again. You can "pre-tin" pipes if you have to make joints in hard places, guarantees that the solder will flow!
Try "tinning" the end of a pipe with your fave flux - you get a good idea of how it goes. Try it with the pipe too hot and you'll see why many solder joints fail.

When I get pin pricks in my Yorkshires the gravy runs onto the plate- taste just as good though!
(At home minding the kids and craving adult conversation, alas a silly post will have to do).

blahblah said:
When I get pin pricks in my Yorkshires the gravy runs onto the plate- taste just as good though!
(At home minding the kids and craving adult conversation, alas a silly post will have to do).
Made me laugh................Seriously, I use La co self cleaning flux..and dont clean the pipe + fittings. Am doing a job for a M8 and deliberately left one old pipe uncleaned..used a yorks. coupling too. I`m going to let you all know if it`s ok when it`s filled and working. And if it fails I`ll admit to it. Haven`t told him...I`m that confident of La Co flux. :LOL: Been using for years...leaks 0 callbacks 0

Tinning - I tried it and got it to work.

One other question, when sweatnig a joint up (say a T piece)
would you do the left connection, wipe, then the right, wipe then the bottom and wipe.

Or would you sweat the whole fitting up and then wipe off all the connections at the end?

Plus do you wipe with a brush or cloth.

There is nothing more soul destroying when the system is refilled and a leak occurs 2 days later (usually late at night).

When looking at the finished fitting should you always see a clear (unbroken) older ring around the pipe?

Sorry for the all the questions. Most of the joints I do hold but I am worried after two months they are going to split.

dazzlerpalmer said:
when sweatnig a joint up (say a T piece)
would you do the left connection, wipe, then the right, wipe then the bottom and wipe.

Or would you sweat the whole fitting up and then wipe off all the connections at the end?

Plus do you wipe with a brush or cloth.

Do all connections at once. It's only a very small area and heating one part will make the other parts hot which means you're re-heating bits you've already done. Cloth is easier to wipe with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back