Tinning steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used a Yorkshire elbow in a tight spot and it has failed so i need to redo.
I have removed the elbow but obviously the pipe ends still have solder on them.
So i presume the ends are both classed as being "tinned", yes ?
If so, what's the the steps to try another elbow, just clean with wirewool the pipe ends and the inside of the elbow, flux both pipes and inside of elbow as normal ?
Also, can i use another Yorkshire ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply footprints.

Just cleaned up and tried again but the one end sprung off and it was the end that goes to my new outside tap (wall thickness away) which has a check valve.
Don't see why it could as it's "outbound" direction but could that be the reason ?
Outside tap is open btw

Confused as gotta repeat....Not happy

Are you draining the pipe fully, if there is even a tiny bit the joint will not form correctly, sounds like you are boiling the water and steam is pushing the joint apart.

Sponsored Links
Sorted it....Pipe was empty all but for a dribble but just opening the tap was no good....Took the outside tap off completely and my tinned joint worked first time so it was pressure that pushed the joint apart

Joint tested and all good

Thanks for input once again (y)

Sorted it....Pipe was empty all but for a dribble but just opening the tap was no good....Took the outside tap off completely and my tinned joint worked first time so it was pressure that pushed the joint apart

Joint tested and all good

Thanks for input once again (y)

It's quite a common problem with end feed caps as well... If there's nowhere for the heat to go, the caps want to pop off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back