S Flange help

1 May 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I was going to fit an essex flange but decided I didnt fancy drilling the cylinder so Im looking at the S flange but not sure how it will fit to my hot water cylinder, attached is a picture of the top of the cylinder, the 22mm pipe painted white comes out the top and then up to a T piece I was thinking of just cutting out the T and the flange goes in its place.

But what Im not sure about is how it screws into the hot water cylinder, it looks like the hole into the cylinder is 22mm and I think the S flange thread is a 28mm?

Edit: Just been reading simliar posts and its been mentioned you should fit a yorkshire fitting so would I need something like this:



Sponsored Links
33 views and no comments, thats not good odds am I being dumb here, I thought the S flange screwed straight into the HWC?
Have a look at http://www.grundfos.com/web/homeukwgb.nsf/Webopslag/MKJD-7HHBKP (spot the typo. in the York flange description title)

The york flange is a surrey flange adapted to fit a male spigot on the cylinder.

The surrey / york flange replaces the 1" to 22mm or 3/4" fitting screwed into the top of the cylinder. The thread in the top of a cylinder is usually 1" BSP parallel.

The lack of insulation on the cylinder suggests an older installation, where you may encounter Imperial pipe sizes.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local