Remove bathroom towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to remove my rather large bathroom towel rail so I can decorate behind it.
View media item 96754
I have closed both valves and I now I just want to make sure I am unscrewing in the correct direction. I have added arrows to show the direction I think I should be turningView media item 96757
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yep, both correct. Support the valve as you unscrew the nuts to avoid damaging the microbore.

Thanks, Yeah a soon as I start applying pressure the copper pipe just turns with itView media item 96756
Looks like I will need to put something behind the valve to stop it turning as well. Is this normal?

Yes, spanner or similar on the nut and one on the body of the valve to stop it turning.

Sponsored Links
Lefty Loosey ...... Righty Tighty ;)

Looking at the pic tho, you may have twisted the copper too much and it needs twisted back otherwise it might reduce the flow, need to be careful when twisting it back tho so the copper doesn't crack, if it does your CH will drain to that level of the pipework. If you're not sure, I'd get a reputable plumber in to take a quick look.

Last edited:
Erm ...... nope, wouldn't use one of them TBH. Wait till your local shed is open tomorrow and go and get a pair of grips, much easier to control, especially now te pipe is twisted and needs finely applied force to get it back without splitting it.

Are these pipes live?

That copper pipe at floor board level looks a bit ropey to me as a DIYer. If there is a floor below I think i'd drain.

Erm ...... nope, wouldn't use one of them TBH.
Well the vice was able to keep it in place enough for me to unscrew the nut.
If there is a floor below I think i'd drain.
No floor below but yes I might need to drain if I wanted to do some further corrective survery :)

Now that I managed to unscrew the pipes the next problem was being able to drain it when all the pipes are vertical. Thanks to the following post they suggested using putty to mould some form of spout. In the end I used some Plumbers Mait and was able to drain the towel rail. The tape was used to keep the nut out of the way.
View media item 96762
I will come back to this when I need to put the towel rail back after I have done my decorating.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back