Why was translucent silicone used on fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just going through the process of reattaching my towel rail.
View media item 96754After I unscrewed the fittings used to keep the towel rail in place I noticed they were stuck to the wall with what appears to be silicone.View media item 96774
Why was this needed when it was already screwed into the wall? One idea might be to do with the fact its in a bathroom and they wanted to gain a water tight seal round the fitting. Is that a normal practice since all my other fittings in my bathroom didn't have this done to them? I doubt it would have been tough enough to provide any further structural support. Would they have been worried that the fitting wasn't flush to the wall since the wall plug extrudes about 1mm from the wall and wanted something to give it some extra grip?
View media item 96763
Either way I am guessing I should use the same method when reattaching the fitting back onto the wall. I presume I can do the same with white silicone as it will be camouflaged by the white wall behind it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it possible that the holes drilled in the walls were made too large for plugs, so then botched it up with silicone, which spread on to the fittings when tightening up.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Maybe in a shower enclosure on tiles for a rail or fitting, buy not for a radiator outside a wet zone, and certainly not on bare plaster

Sometimes it can help to hold the bracket while the screw is located.

It's done no harm, but not worth worrying about.

Walls are rarely perfectly flat, and wall fixings often do not perfectly flush fit to the wall surface. If there was a slight gap between the wall and the fitting, if there was no flexible silicone filler there, over time, dirt and grease would get into the gap, which would become black or brown or greenish, depending on which little organisms were growing there. Being within a bathroom there is always a likelihood of repeated condensation, and the growth of microorganisms in crevices etc., even away from the direct splash zone.

It may be preferable to have a translucent silicone sanitary filler with mould resistant properties to prevent any grime build-up or growth there. Presumably the towel rail fitter (CH engineer or plumber) did not fit out other parts of the bathroom using the same technique. White silicone is preferred when white to white surfaces are jointed, whereas white to metal effect probably looks better with a neutral translucent joint.

That fixing looks like a T nut, These are usually fitted to wood, not walls. And they are supposed to go on the other side of the face to where something is being bolted on, so that the fitting is pulled into the surface like a nut. That's obviously impossible to do on a wall. I'm surprised they didn't pull out to be honest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back