Fill holes in drywall to refit wall plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am needing to refit wall plugs after they have been removed, currently I need to fill four holes no bigger than a £2 coin.
View media item 96773At the moment the best thing I have is "UniBond All Purpose No More Cracks Ready Mixed Filler Tub" which says you can "Plug, drill or screw". Before I go ahead and use it I wasn't sure if something marketed towards crack filling should also be used for hole filling.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would use what you have, fill it as deep as you can, ie force it in, you may have to do it in 2 or 3 fills..
It wont be good for heavy weights

Sponsored Links
That looks like plasterboard. So its 1/2" thick at the most, made of soft plaster with nice broken edges. The first thing to do is to find out how deep the "hole" is, shove a screw driver in it. If its dot and dab on a block wall you will be OK. if its a stud wall, you will have a depth of 3"+ and if you are lucky some glass fibre wadding. If its this sort then the easiest way out is to use toggle bolts. They have sprung loaded wings on them. You might have to make the hole square then push the bolt and toggle into the hole. The wings will then spread out inside the wall and the bolt can be tightened. The big problem with them is that if you undo the bolt, the wing drops into the wall, never to be seen again (another £). So I would say, tie a couple of bits of cotton to the wings, leaving them dangling on the front of the wall. Smear the wings with filler and the back of the hole (!!). Put the legs on the bolts loosely assemble the lot, then fill flush at the front, tighten the legs. Cut of any flappy bits of cotton. Best of luck.
Frank

The board is now weakened and surface filling it won't make it strong again. You might need to use a toggle fixing instead.

Why not reposition the fixings, I have just installed a towel rail (not as big as yours) & I put the top fixings low so that towels went over easily.
You could go inside or outside up or down, plenty of options to re fix it

Why not reposition the fixings
I just realised that last night after I had stepped back from the problem and had time to look at it form a different angle. Will go ahead and cover the current holes and create new ones in a different place and use GripIt Fixings to ensure the fittings stay in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back