Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

I'm currently beginning a DIY project and was looking for advice on how to go about it.

A shower in my flat wasn't fitted properly, who every put it in bodged the job.

They tiled the walls of the shower room first, then fit the tray after, putting filler in the gap between the tray and the tiles.

What I think I'm going to have to do is move the tray (plus dump the old cubicle frame and get a new one).

Shower tray is about 1m x 1m

To move the frame I think I'd have to do the following:

Cut the tiles at tray level
Cut back the plaster underneath with a bolster chisel
This would allow the tray to be tucked under

Can anyone offer additional advice as if this is the right way to go about it?

By under cutting the wall so the tray sits under the tiles, are there any precautions I should take, particularly with regards to keeping it water tight when completed.

I'v attached some photos showing the current catastrophe

View media item 96706. View media item 96705View media item 96698View media item 96697View media item 96696

Sponsored Links
How do you know the tiles go past the shower tray?
Ideally you only need to cut into tiles and tuck tray beneath them.You do not need cut or remove parts of wall.
Look out for pipework and electrical cable, when doing this.

Between tile and wall there is about a 1.5cm gap.

I was attempting to remove one cracked tile, which I was going to replace, and under cut the rest at a level of 21.5cm, when I pulled off the tile chucks of plaster came off. I tried to do it gently using an oscillating multitool, but there were still massive holes.

Think I now only have two options:

1) Repair the plaster and tile over them.

The area needing replastered is approx 15cm x 15cm
It seems like it is only regular plasterboard with tile on top anyway, I could be wrong, but I don't think there is much in the way of waterproofing material on the plaster except tile and grout.

2) Remove all the tiles and fit multiPANEL around the enclosure such as this one https://www.rubberduckbathrooms.co.uk/multipanel-economy-two-sided-shower-board-kit

This option could be a prove problematic as I dont think the walls are exactly 90 degrees for the enclosure.

Anyone have any advice that can help me?

Attachments

• IMG_20170210_135547284.jpg
    IMG_20170210_135547284.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
I suspect the poor position of that water pipe forced them to fit the tray proud of the tiles. If so, that will be your first port of call before reinstating the shower tray.

As a suggestion, why not just remove one row of tiles, cut and securely fit AquaPanel (or similar) just for that row, then retile (after the new tray has been cut in)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back