Remove Cold Water Tank - Vented Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello fellow members

I have really been struggling with a new house purchase - The shower and sink and toilet are out and the kitchen is stripped bare so I am doing all the pipework from scratch.

I have a vented cylinder for hot water which will stay - In the loft is a cold water tank which is massive and pipes coming out to the taps.

I am thinking of teeing into the cold water mains vertical pipe and using that for all cold water sinks and toilet - Is that a problem?? I know I cannot remove the tank as cylinder needs to be gravity fed so am I correct that the only thing the tank will feed is the hot water cylinder and that is it? If true I can also replace the tank with a plastic one as the one there is extremely old!.

Was going to use 22mm copper pipe from the blue plastic mains water into the house and then tee off that for sinks and power shower - Anything to be extra careful of? My mains water pressure is 3 bar and 13litres a minute so decent!

Sponsored Links
Power shower ? Would require cold feed from tank and hot from cylinder,either with a remote pump ,or a self contained pump within a power shower unit.
Mains cold feed to wc's ,bath,and basins would be fine.

By power shower I mean not an electric shower. Why does the shower need to be fed from the tank and not rising mains pressure which is ample and three bar

If you download the power shower instruction you will find the instructions for piping etc,they must be from eaqual pressure/ supply.

Sponsored Links
Thank you cross-thread and terry! You answered the question - Is it a thought to have a pump in that case for the hot water and continue with cold water mains to the shower? I really dont like the idea of cold water storage for water - I prefer mains clean fresh water

As already stated a power shower needs balanced pressures ,hot and cold at the same pressure. Connecting mains cold and gravity hot to one is asking for trouble, and very likely to not work.

Thank you - sorry just to be clear - Is a pump on the hot water cylinder to the shower a suitable idea? I know nothing about this stuff and am putting in an ensuite shower myself on weekends

If you want mains water you need a combi boiler or an electric shower .
As we have mentioned if you want a power shower from your cylinder it must have balanced pressure ,not pumped hot and mains cold

Terry has been really helpful - Thank you! I meant a TRV mixer shower!!! Which my neighbour has in their house and they also have a gravity fed cold and vented cylinder - Their shower pressure is very high and I think they must have put a pump in

Terry has been really helpful - Thank you! I meant a TRV mixer shower!!! Which my neighbour has in their house and they also have a gravity fed cold and vented cylinder - Their shower pressure is very high and I think they must have put a pump in
Sorry to be pedantic, but a TRV is (usually) a Thermostatic Radiator Valve. Did you mean a TMV (Thermostatic Mixing Valve I believe)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back