remove hard drive partition

H

holmslaw

my laptop has the hard drive split into two halves c and d. How do i get rid of d so that c has the full capacity of the drive.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
see the post by Barbusa that is two below this one (and note my signatue)

holmslaw said:
my laptop has the hard drive split into two halves c and d. How do i get rid of d so that c has the full capacity of the drive.
Thanks in advance

The way you have it now is the best way.

In an ideal world: Windows (assuming that's what you use) and your programs should go on C, and all your personal documents/music/vids/etc should go on D. If you ever have a problem and have to reinstall windows on C, then you can do so without affecting your own files.

If you really want to go ahead with the merge then I think you will have to delete everything and start from scratch. Although there are some free trial programs from Acronis and Paragon (amongst others) that can merge partitions, but you'll certainly lose all data on D.

Deluks said:
The way you have it now is the best way. Windows (assuming that's what you use) and your programs go on C, and all your personal documents/music/vids/etc go on D.
This advice is a bit reckless. There's no indication that the OPs documents and data are on the D: drive.

holmslaw - why do you want to do this? It's more usual to present a problem that you can't solve, and get information on the solution, than to present a somewhat mysterious aim and risk getting wrong advice.

Do you realise that you won't gain any space by merging? In fact, with some operating systems you can cause an increase in cluster size and end up with less space.

Sponsored Links
Edited slightly. Well anyway I think we're all (er, softus and I) agreed that this is a bad idea and not worth the hassle. If you are finding that C is clogging up and D is full of space then have a bit of a reorg as I decribed in my previous post.

WinXP tip: Open start menu, right click on My Documents>properties and move the target folder location to D. This will mean that all files that go into My Documents end up on the D drive and C remains relatively uncluttered and slightly less fragmented. If D fills up then make an overflow folder on C.

Thanks for the responses.
The reason i want to do it is because I back up everything on to a seperate hard drive. So the problem with restoring windows does not apply in my case.
Seems to me that I should just reduce the size of d to the minimum and increase c to the max.

holmslaw said:
The reason i want to do it is because I back up everything on to a seperate hard drive.
Then you should just add a new hard drive and not fiddle with the existing partitioning.

So the problem with restoring windows does not apply in my case.
That's what every amateur thinks, until the day they have to restore Windows. ;)

Seems to me that I should just reduce the size of d to the minimum and increase c to the max.
That's pretty much completely contrary to the consensus of the advice you've been given.

Back