partition hard drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has bought an Acer laptop running windows 7. The hard drive only has a Cdrive, sized 200 gigabyte. Can anyone tell me how to partition it to create a D drive for safe storage of important files please?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it only has one partition?
Click Start -> My computer and check. Acer normally ship with a small hidden partition with the recovery data on it, and the rest of the HD is usually partitioned into C: and D:, normally split in two equal parts.

If there is only a C: drive then youi can use:
FREE EASEUS Partition Master to set a second partition.

dave

Thanks fo the quick reply. My mistake there is a hidden partition, but there is no drive D. With other laptops I have had I could partition them using the recovery discs, but I can see no options available .

Sponsored Links
Tried partition master but it is only for a 32 bit computer. It told me that it was a 64 bit computer, so will need to try something else. Is it possible to do it from the disk management window in control panel?

Just use the disk management feature to create partitions in existing free space. No point using 3rd party utilities for native partitions.

If you wish to resize existing paritions then you can use something like a gparted live CD which supports numerous file systems.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

I advise being very cautious when resizing existing NTFS partitions and ensure you have important files backed up as it can result in data loss.

It is pretty pointless creating a partition on the SAME hard drive to store data.. If the drive dies then its dead !! Get a massive external drive and use that for ant important stuff..

It is pretty pointless creating a partition on the SAME hard drive to store data.. If the drive dies then its dead !!

It does make it easier to do a reformat and reinstall of the OS if the data is on another partition.
It is also a bit easier doing incremental backups of data onto an external HDD.

I agree with you about if the drive fails but that is the reason for having backups on a seperate drive. Having your normal data on an external hard drive will slow down your computer a lot if it is only connected via a USB2.0 port.

easeus is great used it many times and prefer it to the paid ones

partition magic did the job no problem. Thanks, the only query now is that when I click on the drive symbol in my computer a message pops up saying cannot find application, any ideas?

partition magic did the job no problem. Thanks, the only query now is that when I click on the drive symbol in my computer a message pops up saying cannot find application, any ideas?
Did you format the new partition?

Sponsored Links
Back