Remove header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’m doing a loft conversion to my bungalow and I need to remove the header tank to make the layout work. I have a 10 year old baxi combi boiler and hot water tank. The intention is to add one bathroom and two rooms with a rad each. Would it be feasible to simply fit a pump. I’m aiming to install a whole new system in a couple of years when I do a side extension.

Sponsored Links
You're possibly confusing heating and dhw, and are you sure you have a combi boiler?
How big is this header tank?
All things are possible but more detail on what you have now would help (like make and model of boiler, is heating pressurised or open vent, is dhw cylinder vented or unvented, if the boiler is a combi which hot taps does it serve)

You're possibly confusing heating and dhw, and are you sure you have a combi boiler?
How big is this header tank?
All things are possible but more detail on what you have now would help (like make and model of boiler, is heating pressurised or open vent, is dhw cylinder vented or unvented, if the boiler is a combi which hot taps does it serve)
The boiler is a Baxi Solo 18 HE, pretty sure it’s open vented. Not sure on the spec of the cylinder but I’ve added a picture, looks unvented. Not 100% sure on the header tank volume but based on its overall size I’d assume it is 500 litres. It serves the kitchen sink and one wash hand basin, that’s it.

Attachments

• 2351B0AE-31D9-4DB6-A16E-07166D57893B.jpeg
    2351B0AE-31D9-4DB6-A16E-07166D57893B.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 82
The boiler is a Baxi Solo 18 HE, pretty sure it’s open vented. Not sure on the spec of the cylinder but I’ve added a picture, looks unvented. Not 100% sure on the header tank volume but based on its overall size I’d assume it is 500 litres. It serves the kitchen sink and one wash hand basin, that’s it.
That's a heat-only boiler. The cylinder is vented, so would be fed from a cold water storage tank (CWST) in the loft, holding something like 500 litre. The primary circuit (boiler and HW cylinder coil) could be pressurised, with an expansion vessel, or vented, with a header tank. Do you also have a small tank in the loft?

Sponsored Links
The CWSC will usually be a max of 50Gal (225L) unless it's a huge house with like 5 bathrooms, then they can get up to 100Gal

That's a heat-only boiler. The cylinder is vented, so would be fed from a cold water storage tank (CWST) in the loft, holding something like 500 litre. The primary circuit (boiler and HW cylinder coil) could be pressurised, with an expansion vessel, or vented, with a header tank. Do you also have a small tank in the loft?
There is a second smaller tank up in the loft, located above the cylinder. Does this mean it is a vented and not pressurised.
If so, what solutions are available for removing the header tank without replacing the boiler? Is the installation of a pump a realistic option?

The smaller tank will be what's called the Feed & Expansion (F&E) tank and is needed for the central heating, yes it is an open vented system

The system can be converted to a sealed system and then the small tank can be removed. It should be a fully pumped system so should have a pump already fitted.

The CWSC will usually be a max of 50Gal (225L) unless it's a huge house with like 5 bathrooms, then they can get up to 100Gal
OK, I hadn't checked the size, just meant to be close enough to distinguish the CWST from the F/E tank.
But unless he goes for a pressurised HW tank (quite a big change) he still has the CWST.

OK, I hadn't checked the size, just meant to be close enough to distinguish the CWST from the F/e tank
??
Didn't mean it that way, apologies if you think I was correcting just for the sake of it, was just for clarity .... that's why I didn't direct quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back