Remove internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been a long term lurker, but first time poster, and was hoping one of the experts could offer some advice on a project I'm thinking about starting!

We have a double size garage (not attached to the house) with a pitched roof, built approx. 10 years ago when the house was built... but it was divided by the original builders into a workshop and single garage by a breeze block dividing wall, with two courses of standard bricks underneath.

I'd like to take this wall down to get back to a double garage.

It does not look to have any load bearing element to me (it does not go up as high as the rafters, and does not look particularly attached at any point apart from the gap to walk through), but I wanted to check that this type of wall did not serve any other purpose (e.g. to support between front and back walls) before I just knocked it over :)

Some pics that might make this clearer:
Any help appreciated as always!

Thanks in advance,
RM

Sponsored Links
Looking at the pictures it does not look to be a supporting wall or a stiffening wall as you say there is nothing supported on it and at the ends I can see the buttresses meaning it's not being used to stiffen the outside walls. To be on the safe side why not give the original builder a phone call and ask if it can be taken down, always better to check. When taking down take down gently especially at the ends so you don't upset the outside walls and disturb them

Many thanks for the confirmation - always good to have a second opinion before starting something like this :)

Great suggestion to call the house builder too - I'll do that tomorrow once everywhere is open again.

Any other thoughts or comments welcomed too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back