Removing Internal Wall inside Double Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house with a double garage (5.5m * 5.5m), which is attached to the house. I'll be renovating the house, so having a space to work in is high on my to do list.

The trouble is that the garage has an internal wall dividing it in two, severely limiting my workspace, as well making it awkward to move between the two garages. To make things worse, I'm fairly sure that the flat roof is supported by this wall (see pictures).

The easiest option would be to create a single, or double door opening in the wall, allowing me to move between the two. I suspect I'd get away with some beefy timber, or a used lintel/rsj which rests on the remaining bits of wall.

Ideally though, I'd prefer to remove the whole 5.5m wall. But I fear I won't find (let alone manage to get it home) a cheap used lintel/rsj of that size. Also, it sounds like a bigger job than I should tackle on my own. I guess a much lighter wooden beam wouldn't be strong enough? As it's a garage, I was hoping I wouldn't be governed by building regs etc...

Any other thoughts/suggestions? I've considered just bracing the overlapping bits of wood, but that would probably not be strong enough.
IMG_20200528_162914.jpg
IMG_20200528_163038.jpg
IMG_20200528_162919.jpg
IMG_20200528_163016.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes that wall is very much supporting the roof- presumably the builders had a load of 3m offcuts so used them rather than spanning fully.
Those timbers look quite chunky, what size are they?
Hopefully @tony1851 will be along in a bit, I suspect you'd get away with an 8 x 3 fixed both ends and a centre prop (4 x 3) given that all you're supporting is the roof dead load and snow load

I've never seen any snow here down South, so not too worried about that. Rain is a different matter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back