Remove old back box?

This could be 'egg box' type wall, or the similar type where there is a central board with a board either side - like a sandwich.

Paramount is its name. I have shed-loads of it Chez Secure. But I've never had an issue with it. I have fitted dry wall back boxes with no issues and if you need to "channel" in a cable, you just ram a length of oval up (or down or across!), pushing the cardboard pieces out of the way. See this thread:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/whats-this-stuff-behind-my-plasterboard-wall.233735/

Sponsored Links
Ok it is block and not plasterboard like I thought. So I'll need a metal back box and what plaster to "muck it in"? Any other tools I'll need?

TY.

If it's block work you should be able to use a couple of rawl plugs if it's deep enough. Otherwise a small amount of bonding is good.

A deeper back box will have screw holes in the side, which may be preferred if you think the walls thin.
Too be honest plaster is usually enough to hold a switch box
Unless you have a good eye, use a spirit level and if the box only has one adjustable lug, then try to fit with that lug usable.

Sponsored Links
Good advise there thanks. What plaster/filler should I use to patch up if needed or to hold the box in place if I can't screw it in, something like this?

The browning is a lot cheaper than that one coat so I could get some browning to fix the box and a tube of that stuff for touch up.

What about hardwall, just watched the chap in this video showing how to mix and apply it, would that be better than browning for this use or are they about the same?

Alright, think I'm confident enough to get on with it now. Thanks all for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back