Remove old olive from radiator fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rad started leaking so I removed it but in the process I damaged one of the plastic elbow push fit jobbies.

I have done an emergency drain down so there is nothing spewing out of it anymore. I now need to fit my new elbow but can't use the original fitting as the thread don't seem the same. How do I remove the small pipe shown in the picture please so I can use the new White elbow.

Attachments

• IMG-20230129-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20230129-WA0013.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Why do you need to remove the short pipe ? If you remove the large grey nut of the old fitting can't you fit your new fitting onto the short pipe ?

You would need to remove the olive. Twist it off or cut it off ,if it is an olive. More likely a grab ring.
Push the grey nut out the way and show us another pic

Sponsored Links
Ahh sounds like a plan. Once removed do I just fit the new white fitting? Do I need another metal ring or will the new fitting have everything needed?

Here you go. Thanks for your help so far

Attachments

• 20230129_173656.jpg
    20230129_173656.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 52
The silver ring is a grab ring. Remove that ,and the rubber seal and white plastic ring will slide off the pipe ,as will the grey nut.
You can then fit the new fitting.
The grab ring has " teeth" ,that grip the pipe ,and prevent the fitting from sliding off the pipe.
You need to carefully remove it ,making sure you don't damage the pipe. If you have a pair of side cutters ,just cut the outer edge of the grab ring.

Done that thanks. Turned the mains water on and it Dont leak from there anymore, result. But the green tank upstairs has water coming out the top of I now....help

Green tank ?? Is it the feed and expansion tank for heating system ?
Where is water " coming out" exactly ??

It was coming over the lip of the top tank like the ball cock wasn't working the ball cocktails moves fine by hand but the water sprays upwards so I think it was hitting the lid and coming over the side. I notice now also the isolation screw leaks badly but wasn't before (see 2nd picture) It stopped leaking when I closed it but sprays when I open it

Attachments

• 20230129_184150.jpg
    20230129_184150.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230129_183841.jpg
    20230129_183841.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 52
Looks like a combination tank and cylinder for domestic hot tap water.
Unfortunately that type of isolation valve does suffer from leaking around the screw. Sometimes if you rotate the screw a few times ( turning it off and on ) it will stop leaking ,but best to replace it.
The ball cock spraying water upward to the lid needs investigating ,some have a part at the top that directs water downward ,it may have fell off into the tank.

Thanks for your help today. Will my system work without the header tank for a while until I get a new connector tomorrow please?

You will get hot water at your taps ,but only as long as there is water in the tank. Once the header tank runs out of water the cylinder ( although it's full) can't give any more water out.
Your central heating is not affected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back