Remove old olive from radiator fitting

You must have another tank that feeds the central heating system ,unless it's pressurised.
What did you do when draining heating system to work on the radiator ,what did you turn off ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, just turned off the mains water and drained down the damaged pipe with a hose as it wasn’t planned.

Turned the mains water back on which is giving some hot water now but no CH yet, stopped the flow to the header tank as a temp measure. No tank in the loft

Sponsored Links
Have you ever drained your central heating system in the past ?
What boiler heats your central heating system ?

Not myself no, this all started with a leaking rad (not on any connections)
My boiler is a very old Ideal standard lx ff

Have all your radiators filled with water and been bled of air ?

Not sure how to check if they have filled back up sorry, I bled whilst emptying and draining

If you open a radiators air bleed valve ,air may come out first followed by a stream of water.
If no water comes out of ALL the radiators ,the system hasn't filled up.

Fitted the new isolation valve but that leaks from the bit where the smaller pipe joins the larger one. Have I missed something?

Not sure what you mean. One end of the service valve ( isolator ) connects to the tank inlet, the other end is a compression fitting onto a piece of copper pipe. Is it the compression fitting that leaks,where the nut tightens onto the valve ?
If so ,did you remove the original nut and olive ,or leave them in place and just connected the new valve to them ? Tightening the nut a bit more may stop the leak if you re used the original nut and olive.

Sorted the leak thanks, it was a faulty valve.

The header tank seems to be filling up now, I have the boiler on but the rads are not hot yet, the pipes near the tank are hot, does it take a while to fill the whole system back up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back