Remove part of a garage base edge to lay paving bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay paving bricks along the wall of my garage.

The problem is, the foundation base sticks out but I want the bricks to be flush with wall and level with the lawn.

20180512_085014.jpg

Can I use my SDS drill to remove enough of the base for the bricks to fit in nicely?

The depth of the bricks are 60mm and I'll need at least 20mm for the bedding.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Not sure, but you don't need to. Are you sure the concrete block pavers are 60mm? 50 is more common for domestic.
Anyway, just dig back to a suitable depth and lay hardcore as appropriate, then cut the bottom edge off the blocks on that side, then bed on a concrete bedding mix.
Paving expert will help with the general details, that's how we did ours.
The other thing is make sure it drains away from the wall, you don't want to end up with water penetration.

Yes, I did think of cutting into the pavers to just leave the top, but it's a lot of cutting to leave only about 20mm. I'm worried that they'll break during the process.
I only have a small angle grinder at the moment and I'm unable to find a diamond blade for my 25.4mm bore miter saw - I created another thread for that!

I've never cut pavers before so don't know how easy that will be for me with the tools I have. Unfortunately, this may be my only option and I may have to invest in a better tool. BTW, these ones are 60mm although I wish I could've got 50mm to match my existing patio!

I'm only laying one paver next to each other along the wall as it's just going to be a mowing strip so it needs to be flush with the lawn as well. It's now becoming more trouble than it's worth!

Thanks for the advice.

If you were to use an sds then I suspect the concrete willl break where you don't want it to
You need to use an angle grinder first so you only break up what you want

B and q or screwfix do cheap ones that will save a lot of time

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.
I see what you mean.
I've actually just bought a cheap 115mm one with a diamond disc to cut the pavers if needed so I'll use that if I can.

Does that mean it's okay to cut the concrete in the first place? Surely as long as the garage bricks above don't jut out more than the concrete then it shouldn't be an issue?

Having your garage slab bigger than the garage itself can cause water ingress as it can run inward after collection on the ledge.
Concrete pavers will cut very easily but the dust from angle grinders is never pleasant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back