Remove purlin cross braces?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in need of some expert advice.

I'm flooring my loft just for storage purposes and, if it's possible, would like to remove those cross braces (I'm not sure of the correct terminology) that run across the loft between the two purlins.

I remember the builder who did our bathroom a few years back, telling me that those braces could go, as they were just used when the roof was being built. However, I'm not so sure he's right! If they have to stay, it's no biggie, it's just that walking around up there would be so much easier without them in the way.

Can they go or should they stay?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sloper, hi.

Could be that the cross bracing is designed to attempt to prevent the purlin from twisting? but, the dimension's of the cross bracing is small and the cross brace would tend to buckle or bend, and deform itself?

I asked a builder friend the same question, for exactly the same reasons

If I remember correctly, he called them 'collars' or 'collar ties' and said they really ought to stay.

I have 2 in my loft and it's like the hurdles getting from front to back and back again!

Interestingly, mine are bolted directly to the rafters, not to purlins, like this:

Although mine aren't run in doubles.

I wanted to cut the collars where they run past the struts and bolt them to them.

Measure the distance between the purlins and knock the braces out, then measure again I don't think there will be much difference. On the left hand side of your picture were its narrow between your chimney and purlin and are not likely to go much then you could cut one of those pieces of timber to size to prop the purlin against chimney and you could do one for the other side to and just knock it out while you are up there storing stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back