Remove shower screen sealant - hard and

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The original seal of the shower screen has become brittle and calcified. I do not know how to remove it without chipping the screen. Do you know how this is done? I tried pushing a sharp knife through the gap between the seal and the screen and push the seal down. It does not move.

Sponsored Links
Here is the requested photograph. Please give me all the information you have to help me remove the old seal.
Screen seal.jpg

Spray with a descaler and leave an hour , then a sharp blow downwards with a wood chisel should dislodge.If it's had glue applied carburettor cleaner is a strong solvent which destroys many adhesives.

Sponsored Links
Maybe it was glued? It looks like the seal has gone hard and brittle.

I'd probably take the screen off and put it on the floor, then attack it with a chisel.

Thank you all for your replies. I presume that the descaler could be bought in a supermarket. Where can one buy carburettor, if that is required?

Carb cleaner any motor spares shop/ Halfords etc , though cheapest at car boot sales.

Before the OP goes and buys any, note that carburettor cleaner will also damage & destroy many plastics such as the bath.

Another thing to consider is that you won't 'chip' the screen - if any part of the glass is damaged, the whole thing will instantly disintegrate into a pile of tiny pieces.

If it was my shower screen I would simply replace it.

Changed 2 shower enclosure's last week and the finished result is very smart.

edit, old shower glass is very very brittle and the slightest knock it will be broken into many small pieces of glass,as flameport mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your help. I have managed to removed the the seal by pushing a sharp blade in the gap between the glass and the seal and breaking the seal at various places. The glass was not damaged. There was some glue that was removed with a spirit liquid. With undiluted bleach and a brush I manage the clean the screen and fittings completely and the screen looks like new. The forum is invaluable. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back