remove tile adhesive from boxing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have boxing around the sink and toilet pipework in my ensuite.
I've removed the old tiles and its left the adhesive behind:
30071083fb693d0935f1984a167d945949c7af911cd332f9b2ddc093.jpg

1997118682610900e7ec95d0c272ce1d8f011c3af7d233250a7a5d44.jpg

The adhesive came off the plasterboard easily with a paint stripper/filling knife, but it doesn't seem to want to come off the boxing.
The boxing is quite thin and fibrous as you can see where its come apart and left a hole.
Is there a way to remove the adhesive, or am I going to have to get some more hardboard and re-do the boxing?

Sponsored Links
Do you intend to re-tile or paint over the boxing?

If re-tiling then not a problem, else I'd replace (hardboard being so damn cheap and easy to use)

I've decided to rip the boxing out and re-do it in hardboard.
The hardboard is more flexible than I expected. You can get some good Rolf Harris type noises out of it.

I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone else wastes time taking tiles off carefully. I spent days doing it.

It seems a lot easier with everything I've done so far on the house to rip things out and start again.
It doesn't seem to me that modern Building/DIY is very environmentally friendly...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back