Remove two telephone sockets from bedrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’ve purchased my first house and I’m in the process of decorating. I would like to remove a telephone socket from each bedroom. Can I remove both sockets without affecting the main socket I want to keep in the downstairs living room?

Also presumably I will need to turn the electric supply off as it will be live?

Picture with the 2 white wires is in the master bedroom. The other socket with one white wire is in the spare room.

Thank you all in advance,

Chris

Attachments

• A158F911-165A-4483-9686-018446754469.jpeg
    A158F911-165A-4483-9686-018446754469.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 717
  • 15730E9A-542E-4E63-B09E-C906514B69C8.jpeg
    15730E9A-542E-4E63-B09E-C906514B69C8.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 572
Sponsored Links
Can I remove both sockets without affecting the main socket I want to keep in the downstairs living room?
Yes, as long as the living room is the master socket.
Also presumably I will need to turn the electric supply off as it will be live?
Turning off the electric has no effect on your phone line, it still works when there is power cut. Disconnect the extensions from the master first, then none of it is live any more.

If those are the only sockets, apart from the master socket, just disconnect at the master first then cut the wires where ever it suits you. No point in turning the electric off, the don't have mains power on them - maximum voltage at the sockets is 50v at very low currents, which should do you and the system no harm.

Yes, as long as the living room is the master socket.

Turning off the electric has no effect on your phone line, it still works when there is power cut. Disconnect the extensions from the master first, then none of it is live any more.

If those are the only sockets, apart from the master socket, just disconnect at the master first then cut the wires where ever it suits you. No point in turning the electric off, the don't have mains power on them - maximum voltage at the sockets is 50v at very low currents, which should do you and the system no harm.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, the master is definitely downstairs thankfully. When you say disconnect the master first, how do I do that? Apologies for sounding daft!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, the master is definitely downstairs thankfully. When you say disconnect the master first, how do I do that? Apologies for sounding daft!

The idea of the modern master is, that you can just remove the outer/top part, which disconnects any extensions you may have, just leaving the master connected to your phone line. The top (complete with extensions cable) just plugs into a hidden socket a test socket. That is so that should your line develop a fault, you can as a first step / test, unplug all your extensions and test just the incoming line at the master socket.

Post photo of your master.

The idea of the modern master is, that you can just remove the outer/top part, which disconnects any extensions you may have, just leaving the master connected to your phone line. The top (complete with extensions cable) just plugs into a hidden socket a test socket. That is so that should your line develop a fault, you can as a first step / test, unplug all your extensions and test just the incoming line at the master socket.

Post photo of your master.

Thanks again

Attachments

• 498A64A9-6846-478C-974B-4FB007B0EF79.jpeg
    498A64A9-6846-478C-974B-4FB007B0EF79.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 471
Thanks, that looks as if the faceplate complete with its extension cabling, has already been removed. Did you do that?

Thanks, that looks as if the faceplate complete with its extension cabling, has already been removed. Did you do that?

Oh ye I did, I just unclipped it from the side. Am I good to go removing the wall plates and cutting the cable?

Attachments

• 56FC3849-B32D-4F73-B49D-9766ED44A57C.jpeg
    56FC3849-B32D-4F73-B49D-9766ED44A57C.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 322

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back