Removing an unused telephone socket

Good news, this means the master socket downstairs is wired and functioning as a master socket (demarcation point). So, simply disconnect the WIRES from the FRONT PLATE, then screw it back together and you can remove the upstairs socket and the other sockets if you wish. This will also remove the backwiring issue. No need for a professional.

Thank you Cajar - so I disconnect ALL the wires in the working master socket, not just one particular one? Should I then just push the now free wires back into the master socket and re-screw?

With regards to the bedrooom socket - I'm assuming cutting this off won't affect my cable internet? The modem is connected to the Telewest box (that you can partly see in the first photo) via coaxial cable. I'm assuming telephone is standalone from cable?

(I'm only asking because of the proximity of the two).

Sponsored Links
yes to both but read what I wrote carefully.

Yes, sorry cajar. For clarification I understood that you meant just the wires attached to the first part of the master socket (ie the first part that can be unscrewed from the box) and not the ones behind which kind of look screwed in like a plug is wired?

But cable internet is not affected by the telephone socket?

Sponsored Links
yes to both but read what I wrote carefully.

Well, I pulled out the 3 wires from the back of the frontplate of the master socket (I haven't cut off the wires of the bedroom socket yet) as instructed.

But unfortunately, now the phone will only work in this master socket, which is situated in the front room, not the living room where the phone has lived for the past 15+ years

This was not what I wanted - hence my question about removing all the wires in the front plate or just one particular one.

Will one of the 3 wires I've removed control the living room socket and if so is there any way I can re-attach it?

Or do I now just have to live with my phone & answer machine being in the front room?

Trace wiring between two sockets in case there is a junction box.

you can reattach them if you want and it will reenable all the sockets. As stated, there is a junction box or another socket between the living room one and the front room master socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back