Removed bathroom tiles, wall came away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we just removed the tiles in our bathroom which we put up onto a newly plastered wall about 6 years ago. Problem is its taken the new plaster and old plaster/cement stuff away with it leaving bare brick work in places. The house was built in 1880 so the old plaster is crumbly and made with a weird mixture of sand and hair. We just want to tile in that location again so can we just get some cement/filer mix (not sure what you call it) and fill over the brick work bits and re tile? Or will it all have to be taken back to brick work and something else done? Lady novice here so any help/advice would be appreciated :) thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 868
Sponsored Links
I'd say the wall needs a skim of bonding coat, then a skim of muilti finish plaster, then tile it. I've try and pull the rest of it off depending if it's pretty loose.

I agree it needs re-skimming. What you have there is a combination of bits that have fallen off, and bits that haven't fallen off *yet*.

Cheers
Richard

Might be an opportune time to fit something like aqua board?

Basically a waterproof/resistant sheet product that would be nice and flat to tile on

Sponsored Links
Rather than tiles why not use Shower Panels from BushBoard or Formica?
BushBoard - Nuance http://www.bushboard.co.uk/products/range/nuance-64
Formica - http://www.formica.com/en/uk/trade

I prefer to use panels rather than tiles as I've seen a tiled wall collapse when the shower was in use... The person in the shower was very lucky not to get injured by the broken tiles. The sharp edges of the broken tiles wrecked the bath.

If you do decide to go without tiles-

Consider glass splash backs .
Basically a hugE sheet of tempered glass painted on the back, and screwed or glued to the walls

It is a contempary look so not really suitable for a period property

I prefer to use panels rather than tiles as I've seen a tiled wall collapse when the shower was in use... The person in the shower was very lucky not to get injured by the broken tiles. The sharp edges of the broken tiles wrecked the bath.

.... and that folks is why you don't tile directly over 100year old lime plaster.

I'd take it back to brick and plaster/wet board then either tape and skim the joints or get a plasterer in.

when working with the existing plaster for god's sake wear a mask and goggles. 1 it can burn mixed with sweat and 2 there is all sort of nasty crap in the horse hair. it's fairly toxic

Get rid of the old muck then you can technically tile over the brickwork. Personally I would fit Hardibacker and then tile onto that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back