Removed Breakfast Bar. Best Way to Fill In The Gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taking out breakfast bar and pillar to open up the kitchen / diner.

What do I need to fill in the 3" by 72" gap in the floor?

View media item 72205
The existing laminate and vinyl flooring is being replaced with one continuous vinyl.

--

There is also a gap in the wall. Is it OK to just fill it in with a piece of plasterboard and decorate it? It's not going to be seen as new worktop and appliance will be covering it.

View media item 72206

Sponsored Links
What is the sub floor - its difficult to tell? I would be tempted to just use an appropriately sized fillet of wood hammered in flush, then use an underlay to smooth out any slight imperfections in the floor surface, followed by the vinyl

Here's a close up picture

View media item 72208
The layers are:

Concrete base
Blue polythene
Pink insulation
Wood

Is underlay necessary? The new vinyl is Tarkett Goliath, which is 4.5mm

So just fill in the gap with closest fitting size wood. Then fill in any edge gaps with filler. Dry, sand it smooth ensuring same level as surrounding area.

Hi, re your latest pic. In that case I would line with polythene, fit an offcut of rigid insulation (to avoid a cold spot on the floor), then wood fillet, sand level to match surrounding flooring. If the vinyl is cishioned, you shouldn't in theory need underlay, but I would be tempted to use some to smooth out any imperfections, though I guess it depends if you are glueing the vinyl down. I would probably take advice from the supplier in that case.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Now complete.

I filled in the big gap with the recylcing the wood from the breakfast bar frame. Filled in the small side gaps / top with woodfiller and sanded. Seems good enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back