Removed old cork tiles from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Son first home and he has removed cork tiles from hall wall. Now needs to plaster but requires advice as to how best to do it. The impact old adhesive is still there and I expect it needs to be removed or covered over.
Any info as to the best way to get back to a nice, clean, smooth wall.
Thanks,
Pete.

Sponsored Links
How much adhesive - what kind of adhesive? A belt sander will shift most adhesives.
Is the backing plaster sound?
"Now needs to plaster" means what? Do you mean skim over the in-situ plaster?

Thanks Vinn&Steve for your info/questions.
All the wall is covered in the adhesive, I would say it's a flooring type, as recommend for cork flooring. I also would say that this cork flooring has been their for a very long time. Putting cork flooring onto walls reminds me of the 1970.
The backing plaster is sound. It would need a skim over to cover the adhesive tracks but that is the question, what would be the best way to prepare this wall before plaster skimming.

Sponsored Links
1970's would typically be a solvent based adhesive - its usually dark brown in colour.
It will resist steaming or any kind of heat treatment.
Rubberised adhesives have similar qualities.

However, it does dry very brittle with age, and can be removed by prising with a sharp edged spatula scraper - it all depends on how much is on the wall.
A thankless task whatever.

Yes as you said, it is dark brown. Looks like it's going to be a long, hard day!

Ok, will try too Steve. Won't be until tomorrow PM, when I get back from his new home and then I try to post some.

Ok, will try too Steve. Won't be until tomorrow PM, when I get back from his new home and then I try to post some.
Be good to see pics as if you can't steam it off you can get some advice of best way to tackle it you may be able to get away without scraping or sanding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back