Removed some loft timbers but..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice. When we moved into our home we wanted to make use of the loft. We removed some of the supports but installed larger timbers (4x2 replacements) which go to the top of the roof which also sit on a 4x2 to spread the load over the joists. We removed some of the smaller sections but put in replacements at 90 degrees rather than 30(ish).
We recently put our property on the market and a buyer has had a rics home buyer survey done. Could some one point me in the right direction if what’s been done is fine? Or do we need to put some more timber in to brace it?
I’m starting to freak out a bit. As I would rather get the repairs done sooner.

Ive attached a crude drawing. The bits in red are 4x2 which replaces the 3x2 which the cross. The lower bit is untouched. We’ve had no issue with the loft for 5 years since doing the work. Even with red alert weather warnings and heavy snow fall.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2A660A2C-B9D3-4331-8F3A-56E87E22186A.jpeg
    2A660A2C-B9D3-4331-8F3A-56E87E22186A.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Relax - don’t panic. It will be fine. If you had the competence to do the changes in the first place you have the competence to reinstate previous or enhance/strengthen new arrangements if required.

1. Without wishing to be rude to any surveyor - there is a chance they might not even notice your slight changes to the loft structure.

2. If they do notice, they might be happy with it or worst case scenario the buyer starts huffing and puffing about it at which point you promptly reinstate the original design or pay a sub £1000 fee to get a structural engineer to provide some sort of certificate of structural soundness for the new owner - you can decide which is cheaper or easier if and when you are faced with that decision. No big deal!

Don’t panic - I would do nothing for now - sit tight and see if anything comes back about it.

If the original roof was a truss-roof (with the members joined with metal plates) you should not have removed the blue sections.
While you may believe the roof to be 'OK', a surveyor will flag this up.
How old is your house?

If the original roof was a truss-roof (with the members joined with metal plates) you should not have removed the blue sections.
While you may believe the roof to be 'OK', a surveyor will flag this up.
How old is your house?
Hi Tony,

It's a 1980's build.

Sponsored Links
That figures because most houses from that time have truss roofs.
Did the timbers you removed have metal plates to connect them?

That figures because most houses from that time have truss roofs.
Did the timbers you removed have metal plates to connect them?
Hi Tony,

Yes they did. We replaced them with 4x2 timbers and added plates.

I've attached a few photo's (I think).
I haven't removed all of them. Only a couple While adding additional uprights for additional support.
Loft 9.jpg Loft 8.jpg Loft 7.jpg Loft 6.jpg Loft 5.jpg Loft 4.jpg Loft 3.jpg Loft 2.jpg Loft 1.jpg

Structurally it's probably OK - you appear to have put plenty of timber up there which could well compensate for any weakness. But at the end of the day it's what a surveyor comes up with (they have to find something!) and you may need to be prepared to get an independent view and report.

Must have been an awesome model railway!

Make sure the attic lights are blown that day and the loft ladder was ‘lent to a friend the other day’

• Thanks
Reactions: bsr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back