Removing 2 walls - how to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We just bought our first house, so go easy on me as I’m not an experienced DIY’er. I have read the documentation available on this site, but am still confused.

We’re hoping to remove 2 walls to open up the space downstairs and maybe in a year or so put in a bigger kitchen. The problem is that I have no idea as to what process I should follow to achieve this. The first wall we’re hoping to remove is part of the old external wall (now an internal wall due to the extension), which has the first floor and the roof on top of it. The other wall is an internal wall, with only a flat roof above.

I guess I need a structural engineer to do some calculations and I guess I might have to apply for something with the council as well? Apart from that, I guess I need someone experienced to do the work.

Could anyone provide me with a preferably hierarchical list of tasks I should be doing/considering to get this done? Any tips to save money (without compromising on safety) are welcomed as well. I’m happy to do some of the work myself.

Not sure if it is relevant, but we live in a small end of terrace house in the South of England, near Portsmouth. We're not planning on touching the party wall.

Added a mock-up, hoping it will help.
IJQgvh1.png

Sponsored Links
What you propose would almost turn your ground floor into a shell - there are lintels already in place for the upper floor walls.

You would have to "touch the party wall".

Anything can be done in construction - for a price.

As said above, anything can be done if you have the budget.
The lintel above the dining room door would need replacing with steel beams spanning from the right hand wall to the kitchen column.
Assuming you're leaving the column there, the existing lintel put in over the kitchen opening to take the wall above would probably remain.
The construction of the extension roof will determine if you need any further steels.
On a side note, I can see the benefit of taking out the wall between the kitchen and dining room, but personally would leave the wall in between the kitchen/diner and the lounge, but that's just my opinion.
Your best bet is to speak to colleagues/friends and try to get a couple of names of recommended local builders to get an idea of what cost you're looking at. They will also be able to advise on any potential issues, or suggest alternatives etc. These will generally deal with the whole build for you including relevant permissions. There isn't a massive amount you can do to save money really other than trying to source materials etc yourself, but I doubt you'll beat the prices available to the trade.

if you're new to this and have never picked up a sledgehammer before, I suggest you start by removing the narrower wall between kitchen and diner, as it's far less likely to be load bearing (do check, of course).

Use the space for a while and see what you think about it

If you do still then have the urge to remove a structural/buttressing wall then have someone with experience and insurance do it for you

Sponsored Links
The proposed remaining column in the kitchen will be doing a lot of work and may have to be re-built complete with new foundations.
Apart from this, standard stuff. If you do DIY then you need to consider the time element and disruption etc.
I would also consider building a new wall separating the living room from the kitchen/diner.

I would also consider building a new wall separating the living room from the kitchen/diner.
Would you mind specifying where you would build it, as there already is a wall there. It's not 100% clear to me.

Assuming you're leaving the column there, the existing lintel put in over the kitchen opening to take the wall above would probably remain.
The idea was to keep it there, as spanning the whole length would touch the neighbours' wall, adding complication and cost.

On a side note, I can see the benefit of taking out the wall between the kitchen and dining room, but personally would leave the wall in between the kitchen/diner and the lounge, but that's just my opinion.
Reasoning behind taking this out is that the room is quite dark. We tought it would help brighten it up and it would be nice to see our garden from the living area. The final decision will likely depend on cost. I'd be happy to hear your reasoning behind leaving it in as well!

Your best bet is to speak to colleagues/friends and try to get a couple of names of recommended local builders to get an idea of what cost you're looking at. They will also be able to advise on any potential issues, or suggest alternatives etc. These will generally deal with the whole build for you including relevant permissions.
Would this include finding a structural engineer, getting planning/building permissions,...? I thought I could do those three things myself... .

how wide is your pier in kitchen and what era is the house.My structural engineer designed beams so that i do not have to change the foundations.I was asked to leave a certain length of wall for the load to go evenly.I am end terrace as well.

You will need a long beam resting on pier from the end wall and then another teeing into it if the wall between kitchen and the room is load bearing.But as you are saying it is new extension then it is least likely.However do not forget that the same wall between these 2 is providing a buttressing to the kitchen pier.Hope this helps

how wide is your pier in kitchen and what era is the house.My structural engineer designed beams so that i do not have to change the foundations.I was asked to leave a certain length of wall for the load to go evenly.I am end terrace as well.
House was built around1976 if I'm not mistaken. Not sure what a pier is, but if it is the column in the kitchen, then it is quite wide. Roughly 60cm I think.

Hope this helps
It does. Thanks!

Great.Firstly i will give you information i got from my surveyor so that i can help you.I also browsed this forum and lots of helpful member gave me advice which was extremely helpful.

if your house was built in 1976 check your foundations.It might be deep enough unlike the 30s house where they were only shallow ones.A pier aka pillar is the same thing.It need to take the load from the above floor and because of what you are suggesting to do it will have point load.You need a structural engineer to design the size of beam and check if your existing foundations are suitable.It will cost you couple of hundred pounds for the calculations.Ask friends or family for recommendations.

I have gone full open plan in my house but i do miss wall sometimes..

Would you mind specifying where you would build it, as there already is a wall there. It's not 100% clear to me.
Move so that it is parallel with the utility area (back) wall or step it in 700mm should you wish to contain an item of furniture. Is that a window mid way down.....ahh, you are end of terrace!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back