Removing a cast iron bath tub in tact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved in we wanted to keep the old cast iron bath tub which was so nice and deep and square so we had it re-enamelled and it was perfect but we now want to move it to another position to accommodate a cubicle shower. My husband seems to have been told or assumed that it isnt possible to remove such a heavy bath in tact and it would be hacked to pieces to remove it? It probably isnt that easy to lift being so heavy and might need recoating later but I cant believe it has to be destroyed to move it? Can someone advise please?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have to be destroyed at all.....but you will need plenty of muscle standing by, and some protection for carpets or whatever.
It might be in order to remove the bathroom door so handles or whatever don't catch the bath or peoples hands!
John :)

Thank you -it sounds as if it is just a heavy lifting problem and nothing else?

My old one had lead-pipe waste, so you may need to replace waste/trap/fittings etc if it's going somewhere new... (unless someone had done this already).

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the drain and water supply, release from the tiles or whatever then it's heave ho......usually getting it vertical and then 'walking' it through the door. If it has to come down stairs it's a barrel of laughs also! If it's a bath with feet they can usually be unbolted too.
Presumably the bathroom wasn't built around the tub!
John :)

it was just normal when removing old cast baths that they used to get broken up to make it easier to get then out of the house because they were so heavy, no reason why with a bit of patience and lots of heaving that you cant move it. after all it was in one piece when it was fitted in the first place.

Get a few large chaps and get it up on it's edge and cradled onto a good solid heavy duty truck dolly. No reason it can't be moved intact really unless it's been cemented into the wall ;)

We used to put them on our backs with a hammer through the plug hole to get them upstairs.

I don't understand?
It has been re-enamelled ? So it has been removed and put back already? Or just painted?
Generally people smash them because it is easier but these things are traded, made new, relocated and all sorts

I don't understand?
It has been re-enamelled ? So it has been removed and put back already? Or just painted?
Generally people smash them because it is easier but these things are traded, made new, relocated and all sorts
There are companies that come and re-enamel cast iron baths in situ, they are not cheap but results can be really good.

It isn't re enamelling if done in situ. It is painting

Re enamelling requires shotblasting , coating with a glass based material and an oven to melt the glass to the steel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back