Removing a couple of bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to get quotes for replacing a floor-standing CH boiler in the kitchen with a wall mounted one in the garage. (Sounds like a plumbing question coming up - but it's not!) Currently the 4 water pipes (two 22mm and two 28mm) from the boiler go up the surface of the kitchen wall into the floorspace above which is under the bathroom floor.
I want to knock a hole through from under the bathroom floor to the adjacent garage for the new pipe run. I believe it to be a normal cavity brick built wall (above the garage it is the outside wall but because of the split level the bathroom floor level is about 800mm down from the garage roof).
If I was to remove say two horizontally adjacent bricks what sort of support, if any, will it need in its place? Do they do a metal framework to line the hole or should I put a half brick in the centre, or what? How would this normally be tackled? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Precast concrete lintel over the 450mm wide hole your making each side of the cavity wall..

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. I'll see what the quoting plumbers say. Several drilled holes would probably be easier. But if I was to remove two bricks I should first remove the three directly above them and insert a lintel (or two if I'm only removing one brick).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back