Removing a 'fireplace' and making good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have a fairly small living room in a new-build house. It has gas central heating and 2 radiators in the living room.

For some unknown reason the developers have also placed a fireplace with mantlepiece and electric fire (with coal for effect).

We (my wife) would like to remove this as it isn't used so just takes up space (she hates the sight of the thing).

I've done a fair bit of DIY but always like to consult where I can to prevent unexpected surprises.

My thinking is that I just need to crowbar out the mantlepiece, and marble-effect hearth followed by getting a plasterer in to make good the new hole in the wall? The wall is plasterboard dot-and-dabbed to breeze blocks.

Is this correct? Any tips?

View media item 35904
Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Yes you have got it right the only thing you might need to do is place a air brick in the hole you block up for air flow okey. :mrgreen:

I got the impression this is just a decorative hearth but if you do have flue, don’t block if off completely fit a ventilator as stated & a rain cap to the top of the pot.

Sponsored Links
I got the impression this is just a decorative hearth but if you do have flue, don’t block if off completely fit a ventilator as stated & a rain cap to the top of the pot.
It is decorative. The fire is electric.

You certainly wont need a crowbar! as stated there will be a couple of fixing brackets either side and below the mantlepiece probably just beneath the skim.
The wall behind the fire surround will probably be plastered as well so the only filling will be where the brackets are fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back