Removing a hedgerow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the next few weeks i'm going to 'attempt' to remove row of hedges at the front of my house. Intend to have a wall built, or posts and panels.

There is a row of hedges about 12 foot across, they are about 4 foot high. What is the best way to remove them? I have heard people saying tie them to my tow bar and pull them out :eek: I live on a main busy road so I dont even think it would be possible.

They have been there for years so I assume they are well rooted. Could I just cut them right down, a little below soil level and do it that way.

I prefer to do the job myself, if it comes down to it I may get someone in to do it for me

Steve

Sponsored Links
pretty much a straight forward job mate if you have a 4x4

alternativly you could hire a turfer which acts like a whinch to pull the roots out.

the other option is to get digging.the problem is if its privet your pulling out the roots nit together and got really deep,not as deep as hawthorne but can be awkward,but use a grafter rather than a spade

as for cutting em below the soil no mate the will deffiantly come back.thicker.... unless you drill the stumps with a decent sized wood bit and fill the hole with poison regularly but this will take ages ;)
paul

the biggest mistake people make when removing small trees for example, is not leaving enough trunk with which to lever the stump out.

i guess with a hedge it may be different.

provided access isn't a problem, the first thing i would try is mini digger.

other than that, tie it to the neighbours car.

trenching spade and a bit of effort. Its how we do them all the time.

Sponsored Links
I'll try the spade first....if that fails, it will have to be the car on a Sunday moring :D

if you are going to try that, dig around them first. Weve done it a couple of times with the van. youd be surprised at how strong roots are to being pulled out. A lot easier and safer to dig them out

I wouldnt use the car...!!!....

I burnt out a clutch pulling out several conifer type bushes a few years ago....

My advice is cut away all excess, chop round the roots with a spade, and work your way around each bush root unitll it will come free by hand... Takes time, but will save you an expensive car repair....

Defo would of been cheaper for me to get someone in to remove them than the garage to fit a new clutch.

I would make sure you are within your rights as far as local planning permission is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back