Removing a Purlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm half way through a loft conversion project on an 1880 mid terrace cottage, 2 up 2 down with a two story extension on the back.

I have doubled the existing ceiling joist with 2 x 9 floor joists and have built ashlar walls to support the roof onto the new floor joists. Today my Building Control checked the work and said all was OK. He told me that I can now cut out the purlins as the ashlar walls will support my roof.

All fine... except.... it worries me. I'm confident of the structure in my roof but as far as I know the Purlin continues next door, on both sides and is presumably supporting their roofs. The Purlin is supported on the party walls in the loft area but on one side the wall is poor quality.

Before i built the ashlar walls the loft party walls must have been supporting the purlin for my side and the neighbors so i think it will be OK but don't feel especially confident.

Has anyone done this before? Anyone had an issues?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Do you have a party wall agreement? Have you spoken to the neighbour about this?

party wall yes, spoken no. I suppose i can look at the structure on their side, none the less the question really is whether the purlin on my side will have any effect on their side.

Just cut it. If it needs packing, then pack it too.

Do you need to fit some fire protection to the end of it once cut? Or is it covered in plasterboard

Sponsored Links
I that... just cut it, i've done this lots of times with no issues or.... just cut it, and hope for the best?

oh... and yes it will be covered with insulation and plasterboard.

Probably worth checking that there isn't a scarf joint in the purlin next door. Sometimes in older terraces they are put in as a continuous length with scarf joints close to the party wall relying on the cantilever from the adjoining property. Although I have seen them cut with a joint close to the party wall and it was still surprisingly straight, but I still plated the joint and put struts in just in case.

Either way if it is supported on the party walls then it will be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back