Removing a radiator for plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm having a wall plastered, and need to remove the radiator while this is being done, I've been looking everywhere on how to do it.

the thing I'm a bit confused on is my radiator has a thermostat on the right hand side, I understand it says turn that to "off" before you undo that side, but was reading a few places that if the temperature drops it can turn itself back on again and flood the room?

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Just wind a 15mm female cap onto it and that should do the trick. You should , in theory, have been left with a cap to go in place of the TRV head to do this very job

Just wind a 15mm female cap?

Could you explain what this is?

Can you buy the caps singley? or would you have to buy another thermostat?

Cheers

Yea, with the rad removed the end that has the TRV on it will have a male half inch BSP thread on it. You need a female compression cap to go over it ( wind it on) so that the TRV wont pass water if it goes cold thus soaking everything

Sponsored Links
Or a 5p piece where the pin is should hold the pin in place, if you are in a pickle.

No.
http://www.samuelkirk.co.uk/compression-stopend-15mm-pc61-7077-p.asp
Your TRV will have a knurled ring that can be unscrewed to remove the head unit.
This will expose a pin that can be kept "pushed down" by slipping a coin over it and replacing the head unit. Alternatively screw the stop end on to the valve, after removing the valve from the radiator tail, and having closed the valve fully before removing it.
The rad valve has to be separated from the rad at the tail pipe in order to remove the rad from the wall

(edited to improve explanation)
http://www.smrbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/bentley-decorators-cap.html
Example of cap that may explain.

Cheers but this is getting confusing, Can I just turn the thermostat around to "off" then screw the compression stopend over it?

Thermostatic_Radiator_Valve.jpg

will this work or have I got it wrong?

Remove the TRV by the knurled nut under the head prior to removing rad, replace TRV with decorators cap as suggested. reverse process when refitting the radiator.

So the compression stopend goes where the thermostat is once the thermostat has been taken off?

The comp cap end go's where you unscrewed from the rad tail.

untitledlk.jpg

Use just the cap end and screw on your existing 15mm nut/olive.

No, not if your using the the comp end nut. Just turn trv fully down drain rad, remove rad and where the trv connected to the rad that is where you attach the comp end nut.

The picture you posted may be confusing you. The tail on the left hand side of the trv head is dissconnected and fastened to the rad first.

So I turn the lockshield valve off clockwise, turn the thermostat down to off,

unscrew the thermostat head and place a 5p coin inside and screw back on

unscrew the radiator both ends and let the water drain out, lift the radiator off the wall

then place a comp cap on the end of of the trv thread

Will this do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back