Removing a radiator problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone advise me or offer me some help possibly - i am trying to close off the valves to 1 radiator, to give it a flush through with a hose outside. it seems sludged up and has a cold middle/sides. i have shut the lockshield side ok but the other side has a thermostatic valve and i believe these do not shut fully off. i unfortunately do not have the cap to shut the pin down fully. is there anything i can do to make sure it shuts off the flow of water fully as i don't want a flood on my carpet!

Sponsored Links
they useally fully shut.
shut them both fully and open the bleed valve if it stops you know they are both closed.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thankyou all for replying and helping me. I have tried the 5p trick and the head would not go fully on again after - it was too tight a fit!

So most trvs do fully shut off then - mine doesn't go down to 0 setting though - just a star sign (frost setting is that)??

Is there anything else i can do to make sure the valve doesn't open when the rad is off??

did you open the valve fully first then put it on then close it against the 5p ?

if your only going to flush the rad and replace it just put it on the frost setting ;)

if its staying off any lengh of time cap the outlet :idea:

I will try the frost setting - maybe if i keep all the doors shut then the temperature will stay high enough so the trv won't open?

capping off is a good idea - how exactly would this be done easily? if easy (i have some fittings in a box in my shed) i will do this and then i can relax and take my time flushing! :)

Just get a 1/2" brass cap and a bit of PTFE tape. Wrap the tape round the threads and screw on cap.

Thanks - i have 15mm stop end - compression fitting - but if water were to come out of the rad, will it not leak without an olive on the fitting?? :confused:

sorry if i am sounding stupid!!

a 15mm compression stop end won't fit.
you need a 1/2" cap end to screw on the end of the trv.

caps.jpg

i don't have one of those! Sorry for my ignorance, i guess i'll just close all dorrs and windows, and leave it on frost setting and be quick!!

will let you know how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back