Removing a small fluorescent tube from kitchen unit above worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would someone please tell me if there is a trick to removing theses small fluorescent tubes?

I cannot get it out.

Thanks
JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Twist 90 degrees then wriggle. Before you get to 90 you may get some resistance to rotation - just force it past

Would someone please tell me if there is a trick to removing theses small fluorescent tubes?
JamesEB
There are a number of various fittings that have fluorescent tubes in, not all remove and install the same.
Some twist until they match up with an insert slot and can then be removed, some have a springy end that will allow the tube to be prised out.

A picture of the unit fitting of tube may help!

Thanks. I haven't any means to take a pic sorry.

It looks like it twists and slots out.

I have twisted the tube but it won't budge out.

It's a 226 mm

Thanks
JamesEB

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have twisted it but it won't budge.
What does that mean. Did it rotate or did it not.

At the moment we are just guessing what you have. Describe what the end terminations look like. Is there a slot in each of the end caps. If there is then look into the slot and you should see the silver pins of the tube. If you cannot then you haven't rotated the tube enough enough. Rotate the tube until it is in its normal position then mark the tube as a reference point. Now you need to rotate it 90 degrees from that point. Until you have done so it wont come out. Once rotated and you can see the pins, if it still doesn't come out try spreading the end caps apart slightly - this may permit the pins to ease out of their slots.

But as PBD says, a photo is worth a thousand words and it's up to you to provide one - don't you have a mobile phone with a camera facility.

Thanks. Your suggestions are most appreciated. I will give it another try.

The tube is behind the fitting's white block in an awkward place and not easy to see.

I haven't any means to take a pic sorry.

Thanks for help
JameEB

Thanks.

I have done it lying on my on my back with a flashlight on the worktop.

It was only a quarter turn.

Thanks all again for help.
JamesEB

Is it the same length and wattage as its predecessor and is it seated correctly?

If so, it might be best to take it back, get a refund and replace the unit with one using LED which will be more reliable.

Is it the same length and wattage as its predecessor and is it seated correctly?

If so, it might be best to take it back, get a refund and replace the unit with one using LED which will be more reliable.
Yes, it is exactly the same as the original and is seated correctly.

I can't take it back as I bought it on line.

It is 6 watt 226mm.

How do I get an LED one for that please?

Thanks
JamesEB

An LED lamp may not be compatible with that fitting. When I said replace the unit, I meant the whole fitting, not just the lamp. Sorry.

If you have changed the lamp for a new one and it is still problematic, you may have a faulty fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back