Removing a stripped(ish) hex c'sunk bolt

Try pouring some boiling water on it first before next attempt at removal, this may assist you.

Sponsored Links
If you had access to a welder I would do that before drilling it out

That has never failed for me - the welding heats the bolt up, swells it, and clears the rust. The only thing then, is how to grip it, to undo it, when it's countersunk. I would try to weld a nut onto it, through the hole in the nut.

Sponsored Links
The plate that is held by the bolts, assuming it is not "keyed" by anything else, get a helper to rotate the entire plate as you try to loosen the screw. Hopefully rotating the plate and screw together will free it.....

Because everyone has access to a welder and knows how to use it.
I take your point but, if I didn’t have access to a welder and only had a few tools, I would go with what Mottie suggested in post #5, the tried and tested centre punch and hammer method.

I would also hammer in a torx key/bit and try that. If you hammer in a torx bit then you can turn it with a 7mm spanner for extra leverage.

Option b is to drill out with a left handed drill as above.

Only because nobody else has said it ; Could it be a left hand thread?

Reactions: CBW
But that isnt the stuck screw, agree its unlikely but worth checking before heating or welding imho.
I know it’s not the stuck screw, otherwise there wouldn’t be a picture of it. But there’s no reason to believe that it wouldn’t be the same.

I know it’s not the stuck screw, otherwise there wouldn’t be a picture of it. But there’s no reason to believe that it wouldn’t be the same.
All I said was that it might be worth checking before the other suggestions as it only takes a few seconds.
I seem to remember a Flymo with the centre screw being left handed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back