Rourke gate lock won't budge. Ideas to free it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have a garden gate and the lock has become stuck. The key turns freely in it but it stops abruptly when engaging (I presume) the bolt. I've tried some liberal application of WD40 inside the key hole, on the key and on the bolt, what little of it I can see, but no joy.

Does anyone know of anything I'm missing which might budge it? I think it must be the bolt itself having rusted and become stuck, as the key turns fine until engaging the bolt.

Any advice much appreciated.

IMG_7451.JPG

Sponsored Links
Use one of those WD40 containers with the red straw, try to poke the straw in the gap between gate and post, with the handle pressed and squirted so it dribbles down onto the inside of the lock. Add some to the brass tongue which goes in and out as the key is turned.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I got it open! Some more liberal WD40 and some careful plier torque shifted it. There seems to be an issue with how it was installed. The locking bolt's recess hole on the wall is slightly out, resulting in a stiff movement in and out. Perhaps increasing the size of the recess hole will help. Another job to add to the queue!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back