Multi-point locking system sticky in certain weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Key-operated multi-point locking system the standard ones that most new builds have these days. When I pull the handle up to engage the multi-point locks, the locks are supposed to come out fully and only then you can turn the key to lock it. But during some cold weather days it becomes a little stiff. So you pull it up and try and turn the key and the key doesnt turn which means it hasn't fully released. So you have to pull it even higher with some muscle lol and then you feel a click and that small movement is enough to allow the key to then turn. I've experienced this on another door at my friends house so seems like it might be a common thing. Any ideas how I can fix this and prevent it? can I reduce how much the lever locking bolts need to actually come out?

Sponsored Links
maybe the door gap is too big -if they are hooks in which case adjust on the hinges if a upvc 3d door hinge

or the keeps are not quite in the right place, too high or too low. or the door needs adjusting up or down.

The way to check is to see if the door handle lifts up easily when the door is open.

maybe the door gap is too big -if they are hooks in which case adjust on the hinges if a upvc 3d door hinge

or the keeps are not quite in the right place, too high or too low. or the door needs adjusting up or down.

The way to check is to see if the door handle lifts up easily when the door is open.

The door handle works easily and locks easily when the door is open. It's only when it is closed and i try and lift the handle to release those hook-like locking points. The door is a composite wood door.

sounds like the gap between door stile and frame is too big and the hook is catching on the back of the strike plate.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the gap between door stile and frame is too big and the hook is catching on the back of the strike plate.

Sorry i'm not to familiar with the terms. Any guidance on how I can adjust this?

Sorry i'm not to familiar with the terms. Any guidance on how I can adjust this?

On a composite door, I expect it will be with an allen key on the 3d hinge.

The keeps or strike plates are the bits on the frame where the hooks go.

As the hooks come out they go into the strike plate, the hook can sometimes catch the back of strike plate as it becomes fully open stopping the door handle fully raising.

The solution is to move the door closer to the frame jamb on the lock side. Sometimes it could be adjustment up or down that sorts it.

If you have separate strikes for the hooks and the centre deadbolt / latch -you can unscrew the hook keeps, take them out and see if the door shuts and locks -it does you have narrowed down the problem

Just had a look at the strike plate. I've taken a pic of it attached below, it seems that when the hook tries to come out it touches the bottom of the strike plate. So i think somehow I need to lower it. There seems to be some sort of Torx screws, can i adjust the plate with those? I don't know what size torx screwdriver I need for this as I tried T20 which is too big and the smallest I have is too small

VbU4MSp.jpg

Last edited:
Just had a look at the strike plate. I've taken a pic of it attached below, it seems that when the hook tries to come out it touches the bottom of the strike plate.

Can you raise the door?

I would check the head of the door and see if its parallel to the head of the frame.

Can you raise the door?

I would check the head of the door and see if its parallel to the head of the frame.

I can't see any way to raise the door. There is no adjustment screws. The hinges look like normal hinges

I can't see any way to raise the door. There is no adjustment screws. The hinges look like normal hinges

Ah ok, It looks like a timber door.

You need to ascertain whether the door sits with nice even margins or not. Its possible to raise the door by packing the bottom hinge out a bit.

The adjustment on the stike plate is only designed to adjust in / out for altering weather seal compression. I dont think it will move up and down. You could move it by chiselling a bit out.

Ah ok, It looks like a timber door.

You need to ascertain whether the door sits with nice even margins or not. Its possible to raise the door by packing the bottom hinge out a bit.

The adjustment on the stike plate is only designed to adjust in / out for altering weather seal compression. I dont think it will move up and down. You could move it by chiselling a bit out.

Here is a picture of the door hinge, yeh I think it's timber not composite. I'll go and take a pic of the door gap to post in few mins.

uRFFMIm.png

Below are some pics of the door gaps. It looks even all the way round to me. If I try and lift the door it does lift. The one thing I can notice is that I can see light through the weather strip at the bottom but from about 20% above the ground i dont see any light. but i think that might be because the weather strip has been damaged by my cat from the outside a little at the bottom :)

gVOSOG9.png

cvCCM8l.png

zV5yFGH.png

If I try and lift the door it does lift.

Sounds like a bit of play in the hinges, they are cheap non bearing type.

The play could be the culprit.

Unscrew the strike plate you think is the culprit -if the door locks fine, then thats your problem.

Either chisel out above and move up, or file the strike plate a bit.

Sounds like a bit of play in the hinges, they are cheap non bearing type.

The play could be the culprit.

Unscrew the strike plate you think is the culprit -if the door locks fine, then thats your problem.

Either chisel out above and move up, or file the strike plate a bit.

Thanks, will try that. are the two star screws on the strike plate Torx screws? Do you what size they usually are? I will have to try and source the correct torx screwdriver for it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back