Removing a toilet cistern, that age old problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, this is my second topic in just a few days please bear with me!

I'm trying to change the syphon in the downstairs toilet and have encountered that age old problem of removing a broken wing nut! The wing nut is not rusty and access is manageable but could be better (as per photos).

The wing nut I'm trying to remove is to the left (of the picture) and as you can see, access is limited. I have several tools but I'm open to buy more as needed. How to I get this nut out????!! All the other nuts holding the cistern are off, even the corresponding wing nut (which was also broken but came off). Help!

Sponsored Links
I just seen you have a hacksaw, take it out the frame and put some tape around one end, sorted

Lots of WD40 and try either this, but if it is seized solid it may break the tool.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/toilet-seat-installation-tool/62412?_requestid=93523

Or a pair of small grips.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-8-groove-joint-pliers/34661

They are 8" ones you can get 6" if you look around, the shorter the better in your confined space.

Last resort is either a junior hacksaw and bang your knuckles to blazes, or if the cistern will tilt enough a hacksaw blade with tape around to hold and try and cut between the cistern and pan and hope for the best, really the last resort!!

Sponsored Links
thank you so much for your responses. With the hacksaw blade, what angle do I cut at , diagonally, horizontally, vertically(is that even possible?)? Do I cut through the wing nut? Will the nut break apart with pliers after? arrrghhh!

You will not have much choice about the angle, just get in wherever you can.
If you can cut the nut one side it should split off or if not just try and cut through tight to the bottom of the pan

You will not have much choice about the angle, just get in wherever you can.
If you can cut the nut one side it should split off or if not just try and cut through tight to the bottom of the pan

I have cut at the nut in diagonal sections so that each diagonal meets the diagonal below it, if that makes sense but the nut is still in place. the metal washer broke in half lol but it was rusty. I tried wiggling it about with pliers but nothing. Not sure how to cut now?

I have tried to remove the blade and saw vertically but the blades are a bit flimsy maybe I should get better blades or maybe I'm not sawing the nut correctly?

Try putting a screwdriver in the slots you have cut and then twisting the blade like you are trying to turn a screw, it should crack the nut if you have cut far enough.

Beg, borrow or steal an angle grinder (plus goggles) and fit it with a 1mm slitting disc to cut away what you can - the rest will break out with pliers.
Stick some gauntlets on too.....
John :)

Quite hard to see what you have done there mabe just cut the wings off.
Try cutting up with the side of the blade against the thread as far as possible then use the screwdriver

With all due respect, repacing the whole toilet may be a better option as this one has seen better days, Wickes have a close coupled loo for £47 in white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back