removing a toilet with a twist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to remove a toilet from my bathroom, Ive never done this before so looking for some advice on how it can be done.

The biggest issue is, the waste pipes are asbestos (they have been tested) and ill need to do it without breaking them. Id also like to avoid cutting them if possible. im not against taking some bricks out of the wall in order to get it out in one piece.

so where do i start, can the pipe be easily disconnected from the toilet, and the other end easily disconnected from the down pipe? i cant tell how either are connected or sealed. (is there a term for the type of fitting used that i can google?

see pictures of the installation as it is now.

IMG_20151224_131305116.jpg

IMG_20151224_131408078.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is not asbestos. It is a cast iron and it can be cut with large hacksaw or grinder cutter.

Daniel.

The waste is cast Iron. Try chipping away where the pan meets the pipe,

How you refit the new pan to the existing pipe will be your main problem, once you have removed the old pan.

what makes you say that daniel? the piece below with the moss around it is certainly asbestos painted black, its been tested in a lab and heres a photo of where they tested it

IMG_20151224_143142319.jpg

I would have assumed if that piece is asbestos, the rest is?

Sponsored Links
The rest is cast iron, try tapping it it should sound metallic, as stardanny said it will be easier to saw off the collar and fit a WC Pan Connector

ae235

if the new pan doesent line up, and it is cast iron, which would make things way easier for me! could i cut the pipe just above the join on the outside of the house and join plastic pipe to it somehow outside? this is if for instance i have to drill a new hole for the waste as ill be buying a toilet, basin, cupboard unit so it wont have much play in it in terms of where to fit the pipe?

that piece you've linked above, can i fit plastic pipe to that? or is it designed to attach directly to the new toilet pan?

thanks

Where does the waste from the Hand Basin/ Bath run to ?
The fitting shown is just a basic Pan Connector, there are many that will overcome problems in fitting different types of WC `s, it all depends on the outlet from the pan .

The hand basin and bath are currently together on the other side of the room, but im hoping to have the hand basin drain in to the toilet waste ive seen you can add them in. Ill use solvent weld stuff most likely as thats what i used on the bath, I suppose ill have to wait until the unit arrives then to see just whats possible! I assume id be best to cut it ~10 cm away from the wall to give myself the most room. id did sound that bit more metalic when i tapped it with a large stick, apparently castiron is magnetic, so ill give that a try later to test.

just a note to say you were all very correct, the waste pipe is very magnetic and so defo not asbestos, makes my life way way easier, ive ordered the unit for the bathroom as a result so ill have the new toilet in the next few weeks, just enough time to find some tiles

i dont think i would have even checked if it was cast iron, i didnt consider they may have used both. the unit is 300 deep which im hoping will be enough space to fit the waste pipe even if on an odd angle. and hopefully ill be able to add the sink wate in as well which probably makes it a little more difficult but hopefully do able!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back