Removing all old Inhibitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Well, it's getting close to that time when the heating will be turned back on. In the last few months I've replaced four of my radiators for designer ones but the two remaining standard type in the kitchen and bathroom haven't been done yet.

I drained the system to change the pipework and rads but left the two standard rads full of water as there was inhibitor in that water as seeing as I didn't know how long the work was going to take, I thought it prudent in case I re-used these ( as indeed I am going to do). I'm about to re-fill the system so I will be running it for a couple of days with F3 in it before I flush it and add a new dose of inhibitor.

The question I have is should I empty the two existing rads and flush them through before connecting them back into the system in case the inhibitor left in them affects the F3 I'm going to run through or will it be OK to just reconnect them ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not a problem Ian as I used Fernox F1 Inhibitor when I altered the pipework a couple of years ago and I've bought F3 Cleaner this time around. Thanks.

2 points to note maybe,

Is the water in the 2 old radiators nice and clean? When installing the 4 new designer radiators was the heat output and the radiators design considered as to how they will heat the space?

The reason for the second question was I changed a number of radiators last year for a customer, they wanted to replace the old convecting radiators to new designer columns in high ceilinged rooms. I explained that even though the output was comparable the new columns wouldn't heat the space as efficiently as the old ones. The chap was adamant that he had performed all the calcs and checks and that was what they wanted and of course they would be fine, so they were duly changed. 1 month later I was asked to replace the new radiators to new 'designer' convection rads, as the room just didn't get any where near as warm no matter what they did.

It was the good lady that called as the husband couldn't look me in the eye any more. :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back