Removing an in the wall Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know if anyone has removed one of these, But i have a 1930's house that has a heating system with invisible Radiators built into the walls. They are mainly recessed into the brickwork and plastered over with a single valve mounted in the skirting board. I believe the system is completely disconnected and empty of water (but not completely sure). We also have a more tradional working system probably installed in the 70's. I want to remove one of the old cast iron radiators which actually sits proud of the wall but is stiil plastered over to make a feature.....has anybody done this or can anyone offer any advice/tips etc...

Sponsored Links
I guess you have one of the few Art Deco houses in a seaside location :idea: I`ve never seen a hidden rad system you describe - Worked in Sussex since 1970 - look forward to the pics. ;)

Sponsored Links

Images uploaded, I am a novice to this website so I hope this works? if not maybe you can review the album I created? I only know of one other property that has this system so it must be unusual, can't image that it was very efficient either as the heat would have to pass through plaster......

Thaks for posting them, is that 'panel' made of plaster? that must be the warmest window in the UK!!!!!

I guess you need to take up some flooring and see where the pipes are connecting to the rad, they could well be steel!

Thanks John, I managed to remove it at the weekend with help from a friend...to answer your question, It's actually a complete cast iron panel made to look like plaster moulding with water veins on the inside. The steel pipework is mounted inside the Walls and if you look at the photo you can see the Bakerlite valve mounted in the skirting board. Wasn't actually that hard to remove in the end, just very very heavy.....once we had the skirting board off we could see that it was supported on a wooden frame attached to a lintel under the floor boards. The whole thing was attached by two cast brackets to very large stud in the wall. unfortunately we managed to damage it by removing it so it won't be propping up in a reclamation yard, but it's still a bit of interesting 1930's central heating history that never caught on.....just relieved it came out really. Thanks again for your interest....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back