Removing a radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove one radiator permanently from my system. Knowing next to nothing about CH systems thought I should seek a little advice first.

Am I correct in thinking that the radiator can be removed and the pipes feeding it can just be capped then hidden behind plaster in the wall?

Any "gotchas" I should be aware of?

Sponsored Links
what you propose is likely to be fine.

with a one pipe system that would not be possible. it is doubtful that it is a one pipe system, but check first.

If it's one pipe, just connect the 2 pipes together

-------[ rad ]--------

------- Rad Removed --------

------ <- Connect -> --------

---- = pipe by the way :)

Sponsored Links
that is of course obvious to those of us who know.

there is no need to confuse the op yet.

Thanks for the additional info on 1 pipe systems.

Don't worry about me being confused - I am no more confused than when I first posted :LOL:

Best way if you are unsure, turn of valves either side of radiator, remove radiator (make sure you have something to catch the rad water in!)

Turn heating on as normal, if it all works then it will be fine, drain system, remove valves, cut pipework back and cap off, refill.

Job done, everbody happy!!

One more thought! If you are hiding the capped pipe work in the wall, probably best to solder stop ends on, rather that using a compression stop end.

Have been considering which room to attack to find out if a 1 or 2 pipe system. I think I have the answer - most of the radiators have a TRV fitted (including the one i wish to remove). The TRV on this radiator has been turned off (at 0 position) for a number of years.

Therefore my assumption is that it is probably a 2 pipe system, otherwise how could hot water travel past this radiator to others.

;) Assuming that even with it one 0 it is actually turning off.

Would very much doubt you have a one pipe system, but always good to check first!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back